MADRID (AP) — The royal palace says the King of Spain is to undergo a third hip operation in less than two years after failing to gain full mobility following his last treatment.
King Juan Carlos broke his right hip while on an elephant hunting safari in southern Africa in April last year. He then had joint reconstruction surgery on his left hip in November after doctors said age and sporting activity had taken their toll.
In March, the 75-year-old underwent his fourth operation in 12 months to deal with herniated discs in his spine. Although the head of state resumed his normal work routine, it is clear he hasn't been able to resume walking without the aid of crutches.
The palace has called a press conference to give further details later Friday.