homepage logo

Authorities seeking public’s help

By Staff | Sep 11, 2009

Winnebago authorities are asking for the public’s help as they continue their investigation of nearly 30 residential break-ins.

While three teen-agers have been charged in the spree, Police Chief Bob Toland says he’s not ruling out additional charges being filed.

He says all of the items recovered have been returned to their owners.

“We’ve identified many residences (that were burglarized), but we don’t know how many more there may be out there,” Toland says.

The police chief is asking residents to check if anything is missing from their garages or vehicles. He says one of the break-ins did involve entering into a house.

Toland says persons with any information, no matter how unimportant it may seem, should contact the police department.

“We want to know if people saw anybody in their backyard,” he says. “It seems the persons were casing out a number of places during the day and then went back at night.”

Andrew Paul Holm, 19, of Winnebago and two 14-year-old males have been charged in the break-ins.

According to court documents, residents began reporting break-ins to their garages on Aug. 20.

Three days later, a callers reported seeing three young males using a flashlight to look into a garage window before attempting to gain entry. Attempted break-ins of several residences and vehicles occurred over a five-day period, says the court complaint.

Holm faces six felony counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of minors. During a court hearing on Aug. 31, defense attorney Troy Timmerman asked Judge Douglas Richards to modify his client’s release conditions.

County Attorney Brian Roverud told the judge Holm should remain in custody because of concern for public safety.

Richards denied Timmer-man’s request.

Holm is being held on an $80,000 bond without conditions, $40,000 bond with conditions or may post $4,000 cash with conditions.

The burglary charges each carry a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine. The other two counts each have a maximum penalty of one year and a $3,000 fine.