homepage logo


Students charged after fight at school

By Staff | Oct 16, 2011

Jerry Jenson

Two teens facing a felony-level charge will have to wait to see if United South Central School District officials take any disciplinary action.

“There was an incident on school grounds and we are continuing to investigate it,” says Superintendent Jerry Jensen. “We have not done anything in way of a formal action to this point.”

Conner Christopher Long, 16, of Kiester made his first court appearance in Faribault County District Court on Monday.

He has been charged with third-degree assault-substantial bodily harm.

A female juvenile appeared in court not open to the public and also faces a felony-level charge.

Defense attorney Duncan Schwensohn of Fairmont entered a not guilty plea for Long and requested a court trial, which is scheduled for one day.

Judge Douglas Richards approved a defense request to rescind Long’s detention status at YSI Academy in Elmore and released him under electronic home monitoring conditions.

Long also may not have any direct or indirect contact with the alleged victim.

County Attorney Troy Timmerman and probation officer Al Hanson told Richards school officials do not want Long on school property or at any activity event.

Richards says the teen must get prior approval from his probation agent if he needs to leave his residence.

Long’s mother was told USC officials must continue to provide educational instruction for her son.

“You have the option to open enroll in any school, if they accept you,” Richards told Long and his mother.

The assault charge stems from an incident occurring on Oct. 6.

A court complaint says an officer responded to a phone call from a Wells residence regarding an assault victim.

When the officer arrived he reportedly found a teen boy in the basement, bleeding from his nose and one eye swollen shut.

According to court papers, a juvenile female confronted the alleged victim after becoming upset with a comment he made during driver’s training.

Long reportedly came to the girl’s aid.

The complaint says the two knocked the boy to the ground, hitting and kicking him.

The boy’s parents drove him to Albert Lea Medical Center, says the complaint.

He was later transferred by ambulance to a Rochester hospital for facial fractures.