homepage logo

Hahn lands a monster muskie

By Staff | Aug 30, 2015

This is a story about the one that didn’t get away.

Winnebago’s LeRoy Hahn was fishing on the English River chain of lakes way up north in Canada on Thursday, Aug. 6. He was fishing with his son, Jerry.

“We were actually fishing for walleyes,” the senior Hahn relates. “I told my son we should fish in this kind of shallow area, 15 to 20 feet deep, only about a city block distance away from the dock of the lodge.”

Jerry Hahn didn’t think much of his dad’s choice of fishing spots, but he agreed to try there anyway.

“I had a deep Rappala on, since we were fishing for walleyes, and it got hooked on a rock,” LeRoy Hahn says. “We got it loose and then on the very next cast I felt the Rappala being nudged.

Hahn’s heart almost stopped when he saw a big swirl in the water and a huge fish tail come out of the water.

“Then he hit it (the Rappala) and he began to run with it,” Hahn recalls. “I yelled ‘Holy Cow!’ and I told my son I must have a sturgeon on the line.”

Then Hahn was in for an hour long battle. He told his son, Jerry, they maybe should try to get the fish to shore, or at least back to the dock. Jerry nixed both ideas because he figured a fish that size would snap the line.

They had another problem as well their net was pretty small.

“There were three boats in our group, and one of them went back to the dock to get a bigger net,” Hahn says. “A way bigger net.”

One of the fisherman in the other boat, Glen from Luverne, jumped in with the Hahns to help out. Two other fishermen in the other boat took photos and video of the whole adventure.

Those, of course, are now all over Facebook, the Internet and YouTube.

When they finally got the fish netted and landed into the boat, the group of fisherman were astounded.

It was a monster muskie (muskellunge pike) that took two people to lift.

“We measured it at 57 inches and it was estimated to weigh 60 pounds,” Hahn says. “No wonder I got tired, hauling it in. Not bad for someone 82 years old.”

After they took lots of photographs of the monster-size fish, they released him and let him go.

“Somebody else can now have the fun of catching him again,” Hahn says. “I have been waiting a long time to catch a fish like this, and I thank God I was able to do it.”