×
×
homepage logo

BREAKING NEWS

Getting ready for some football – and school

By Staff | Aug 21, 2016

The new sports complex at the United South Central School District continued to be a big topic at USC School Board meetings.

However, at last Tuesday’s regular meeting, it was not the stadium’s name or sign that the board had to deal with. Instead, it was issues with some other areas of the complex.

And, topping that list was what to do about having a ticket booth at the gates.

With the first ever football game to be played on the new field coming up fast, on Sept. 2 to be exact, the board explored its options.

“Isn’t there a spot under the stadium that can be used for taking tickets?” questioned board member Kathy Krebsbach. The answer she received was the ticket booth needs to be out at the fence gate entrances to the complex.

The board discussed having a more permanent ticket booth designed and built to match the stadium look.

Another option was to possibly have the shop class build two moveable ticket booths. One would be a two-sided booth by the main gate, the other a single sided one by the north gate.

But, for this season, the board decided to put up temporary ticket booths, possibly three-sided pop-up tents with tables.

There were two other items for the board to consider.

One was having the lights from the old tennis courts moved to the long jump/pole vault area in the sports complex.

“We are hosting several big track meets again this year,” board chair Dale Stevermer said. “And some of those go into the evening hours, when it is getting dark. It would be good to light all areas of the track events areas.”

The board agreed, and voted to have Schroeder Electric move the lights, at their quoted charge of $1,250 for the project.

They also voted to have Schroeder Electric complete another job at a cost of $1,296. That work would include running underground electric wires from the softball and baseball field scoreboards to the controls of the boards. Currently it is necessary to run a very long extension cord out to the scoreboards.

School superintendent Keith Fleming also reported on several other projects going on at the sports complex.

“The football goal posts are going to be relocated next week,” he said. “And work by the plumbers and electricians in the concession stand is progressing. It should be ready for inspection by Aug. 25, and then ready for the first game Sept. 2.”

It seemed apropos that the school was filled with the sounds of students and parents attending the seventh grade orientation as the School Board handled a myriad of items dealing with back to school time.

Among those items at Tuesday night’s meeting were:

Approved a new master agreement with the principals. The contract calls for salary increases that match those of the teachers’ contract. It would be a 1.85 percent increase the first year of the contract, 2.15 percent the second year, for a total of 4 percent over the two years. Also added was a monthly cell phone allowance but it would be paid in a one-time annual payment of $500.

Approved raising the adult meal prices at the school to $3.60 for lunch and $1.75 for breakfast, in order to match federal mandated prices.

Approved a long list of personnel changes. Those included: resignations from paras Ethel Aranda-Rodriguez, Brandee Meyer and Jodi Passer and custodian Diane Dulas; contracts with Ethel Aranda-Rodriguez (Spanish), Joan Christian (para), Jay Christianson (bus driver), Joe Kuechenmeister ($50/month cell phone allowance), Brandee Meyer (7-8 math) and Renae O’Rourke (ECFE); numerous extra service (coaching) assignments and staff lane changes.