Family homeless after fire
A house fire on Monday, April 20, left a Blue Earth family homeless.
The call of a house fire at 208 E. Eighth Street came in at 11 a.m., and the Blue Earth Fire Department immediately called for mutual aid from the Winnebago Fire Department, according to Blue Earth Fire Chief Roger Davis.
Davis says the fire is still under investigation by the State Fire Marshall’s Office, as is standard procedure in house fires.
Two people were at home when the fire started and were able to escape safely and there were no injuries due to the fire.
The fire was based in the rear of the house, and a propane tank on a gas grill exploded due to the intensity of the fire, according to neighbors.
The house belongs to David and Janet Enriquez, who were at work at the time of the fire. Both are employed at Blue Earth Locker.
The fire department was at the scene for approximately two hours. Besides the Winnebago Fire Department, the Blue Earth Police Department and the UHD Ambulance were also on the scene to assist.
According to next door neighbor Marty Sawyer, it was mail carrier Ryan Veriede who spotted the fire,
banged on the door and got the two children and the two dogs outside to safety.
A fundraiser/benefit for the Enriquez family was held at the P-Pod last Wednesday night. However, anyone still wishing to make a donation to the family can drop off donations at the Blue Earth Locker during business hours.
The line at the benefit stretched from the P-Pod stand back to Main Street for the whole two hours of the event, and by the end the organizers were running out of food due to the turnout.