homepage logo

Two sentenced in assault case of MN Trooper

By Staff | Jul 12, 2020

Faribault County Attorney Kathryn Karjala announced Montrell Smith and Anthony Enriquez were sentenced on July 7, by the Honorable Darci Bentz in Blue Earth and committed to the Commissioner of Corrections.

This brings to a conclusion, the prosecution of the co-defendants who pled guilty to the first-degree assault of Trooper Doug Rauenhorst on Dec. 20, 2018. The assault occurred after the co-defendants fled a traffic stop with Trooper Rauenhorst partially in the vehicle. He sustained serious injuries after being forced out of the vehicle that was traveling at highway speeds.

Enriquez admitted to assaulting Trooper Rauenhorst and possessing marijuana at a plea hearing on Jan. 31, and was sentenced to prison for a period of 86 months. Smith admitted to assaulting Trooper Rauenhorst and possessing marijuana at a plea hearing on Jan. 6, and was sentenced to prison for a period of 84 months.

Karjala thanked the numerous law enforcement agencies who responded to assist with the pursuit from Faribault County to Freeborn County and apprehension of Enriquez and Smith at a bar in Albert Lea. She also thanked the BCA for their investigation and hours of gathering evidence to ensure the defendants were held accountable for their actions.

In his victim impact statement, Trooper Rauenhorst described to the Court how his life has been impacted since Dec. 20, 2018. “My recollection of the events immediately after are incomplete, as I did not think I ever lost consciousness. However, after reviewing the video, it is clear that I did, as I was face down in the median, unconscious before others arrived to help. I could not stand up, and I felt blood running down my head.

“When I arrived home, my family and I began to notice the effects the assault had on me. I had difficulty remembering conversations I had and if I had done daily activities. . . During my treatment at the Mayo Brain Unit in Rochester, the staff helped me realize how significantly the injury had affected my brain. I was a lot slower at reading and comprehending the information I read. I forgot entire conversations.

“I went back to work in full capacity in June of 2019. Immediately, I began to realize I could not remember things I did at work and had difficulty sleeping at night. I was taken off work again.

On June 8, I was cleared to return to work for the first time since June of 2019. . .I hope this will go well.

“The assault was life-altering for me. I will have to deal with repercussions from it for the rest of my life. It has affected my ability to advance in my career, and it has affected me and my family in so many ways. It makes me very sad that my children had to see me go through this, as it has changed the way they view the world,” stated Rauenhorst.