homepage logo


Bucs march over Saints

By Staff | Sep 26, 2010

Zach Tvedten scored three touchdowns on runs of 25, 29, and 74 yards, and the defense turned in another strong performance, leading Blue Earth Area over the St. Peter Saints 33-7 in football action Sept. 17 in Blue Earth.

Neither team was able to move the ball in the early going.

Following a 39-yard punt by the Bucs’ Taylor Owen, St. Peter began their third drive of the night from their own 14-yard line.

Two plays later, Dalton Hurn recovered a fumble and the Bucs took over on the Saints’ 30.

Tvedten picked up five yards on first down, then scampered 25 yards on an off-tackle run to put BEA on the scoreboard. Collin Nienhaus kicked the extra point to make it 7-0 with 4:52 to go in the opening quarter.

St. Peter started their next drive at their own 35-yard line. On the second play of the drive, the ball squirted loose and Tvedten recovered for the Bucs at the Saints’ 40-yard line.

Quarterback Brady Anderson connected with Joe Franta for a 28-yard reception to the 12-yard line. Two runs netted the Bucs two more yards and set up a third and eight situation.

Anderson went back to pass and came under a heavy rush. He kept his composure and was able to elude the sack. Scrambling to his right he found Franta, who was able to get across the goal line. A successful kick by Nienhaus made the score 14-0 with just over two minutes left in the first quarter.

Jordan Wilmes of the Saints took the ensuing kickoff on his own 20-yard line, found an opening in the middle and raced to the end zone for the Saints only score of the night. The extra-point kick was good, cutting the Bucs’ lead to 14-7.

Santos Flores returned the Saints’ kickoff 17 yards to the Buc 39-yard line. Two plays later, Hurn hauled in an Anderson pass for a 24-yard gain that put the Bucs on the Saints’ 29.

Tvedten covered the final 29 yards; after appearing to be stopped at the line of scrimmage, he broke out of the pile and scored the touchdown. This time the point after failed, but BEA held a 20-7 lead with 51 seconds left in the first quarter.

While 27 points were scored in the last five minutes of the first quarter, neither team scored in the second quarter. The Bucs were aided by their stellar defensive play, including an interception by Carter Hanson and a nice open-field tackle by Conner Hanson on a screen play that thwarted a Saints’ drive.

The Buc defense showed it could play some goal-line defense, also.

The Saints returned an interception to the Buc 31-yard line. Two plays later they were three yards away from a touchdown.

On first down, the Bucs stuffed the Saints running back for a two-yard loss. Following an incompletion, the Bucs’ Brenden Christensen tackled the Saints’ runner for another two-yard loss back to the seven-yard line. A fourth down pass attempt fell incomplete and the Bucs took over with 4:04 remaining in the third quarter.

Tvedten picked up a first down with a 25-yard run to the 32-yard line. An offensive penalty for an illegal block put the ball on the 26.

Tvedten would burst through a hole on the next play. Once he was in the open, nobody could catch the speedster and he went all the way for a 74-yard touchdown. The two-point conversion failed, but the Bucs opened up a 26-7 lead with 2:20 left in the third quarter.

To read more of this story, see this week’s Register.