homepage logo


Gridders win homecoming

By Staff | Oct 4, 2010

Zach Tvedten runs inside the crushing block of Sam Lee.

The Blue Earth Area Buccaneer football team scored 20 points in the second quarter and left little doubt by halftime they were determined to win their homecoming game.

The Bucs went on to trounce the St. James Saints 34-13 for the big win.

The victory came on the back – and legs – of running back Zach Tvedten, who carried the ball 21 times and rumbled for 174 yards.

He scored four of the Buccaneer touchdowns along the way.

After some miscues by both teams in the first quarter, BEA finally got on the scoreboard with 5:25 left in the first stanza.

On a second down play, Tvedten won a foot race down the left side, scampering in from 28 yards out.

Collin Nienhaus made his first of four extra point kicks, and BEA was up 7-0.

The Bucs were marching down the field again, as the quarter came to an end. They continued to move the ball in the second quarter, and Tvedten went in from the 15 for BEA’s second score, with 10:12 still left in the first half.

Carter Hanson blew through the line on St. Peter’s next possession, for a big stop, and forcing a punt.

A long pass from quarterback Brady Anderson to a wide open Taylor Owen set up BEA’s next touchdown.

On the very next play, Tvedten ran in from the eight for a touchdown. Again, the kick was good, and BEA led 20-0 with 7:28 left in the half.

After a Joe Franta interception, running back Carter Hanson scored on a six yard run, with 5:49 left, and the Buccaneers had a commanding 27-0 advantage.

St. James had their best possession of the game as the half came to a close. They marched down the field and scored a touchdown from the 4-yard line with only 46 seconds left on the clock.

Their try for a two-point conversion failed.

There was no scoring in the third quarter, although the Bucs came close. St. James intercepted the ball in the end zone to stop a Bucs’ scoring threat.

However, shortly after the fourth quarter began, Tvedten was scoring his fourth touchdown of the night. Nienhaus’s kick was good, and the Bucs led 34-6.

Dalton Hurn ended the Saints next possession when he picked off a pass for an interception and returned it 23 yards to the 33.

With many of the varsity players taking a well-deserved rest, the Bucs moved the ball to the five-yard line, but turned it over on downs to the Saints.

St. James was able to move the ball, and scored the final points of the game on a touchdown pass from the eight, with just 36 seconds left in the game.

That made the final score 34-13.

The Bucs out-rushed the Saints 282 yards to 124. Besides Tvedten’s 174, Carter Hanson had 34 yards, Santos Flores 33 and Franta added 25 yards.

Anderson was 2 of 6 passing, for 43 yards. Besides Owen’s grab for 31 yards, Jake Wagner also caught a pass for 12.

The Saints gained 63 yards in the air, on 6 of 9 passing.

BEA had 18 first downs to St. James’ 10, and only one punt, compared to the Saints six.

Leading the defense for BEA was Carter Hanson with 15 tackles, while Franta added 10.

Next up for the Bucs was a trip to New Ulm this past Friday. Details on this game will be included in next week’s Faribault County Register.

This Friday, Oct. 8, the Bucs head to Fairmont.