homepage logo


Bucs outgun Scots, 57-40

By Staff | Sep 18, 2011

Jacob Olson

With moments remaining in Blue Earth’s 57-40 win over St. Paul Highland Park, head coach Randy Kuechenmeister gave assistant coach Travis Armstrong a smirk and said, “no lead is safe.”

Kuechenmeister had good reason to feel that way. In 48 minutes of play, the head coach witnessed a topsy-turvy affair featuring 596 yards rushing, 398 yards receiving and 14 touchdowns combined between the two teams.

The feisty St. Paul Highland Park Scots faced two large deficits against the Bucs, but managed to make things interesting during the course of the lengthy three-hour game.

Blue Earth Area established their first major lead scoring three unanswered touchdowns to begin play.

Brady Anderson put the Bucs on the scoreboard first, rumbling 57 yards down the BEA sideline. The point after attempt was good by Jakob Rintelen making the score 7-0.

After a quick BEA stop on defense, Jacob Olson wasted little time in scoring BEA’s second touchdown. The senior scampered 52 yards on BEA’s second play of the possession to put the Bucs ahead 13-0.

To start the second quarter, BEA notched their third score of the ball game on a Carter Hanson one-yard dive up the middle set up by a 25-yard passing play from Anderson to Steven Plocker. Hanson converted the two-point conversion giving BEA a 21-0 lead.

Down three scores, the Scots never gave up. Tray Fears crossed the goal line with 7 minutes and 47 seconds remaining in the second quarter closing the Buc lead to 14 points after the made point after attempt.

BEA responded after the St. Paul Highland Park touchdown by creating massive holes in the offensive line to set up BEA’s next score to give the Bucs a 27-7 advantage. For the touchdown, Brady Anderson connected with 6-foot-4 target Isaac Darrington on a 6-yard touchdown reception.

The Scots weren’t phased by the 20-point BEA lead. They marched down the field, scoring on a fourth down passing play to close the large gap. Christopher Mitchell hit Isaiah Brower on a 41-yard pass across the middle of the field for the touchdown. The Scots tacked on the two point conversion when Fears ran in to the end zone making the score 27-15.

After a BEA fumble with 1 minute and 10 seconds remaining in the half, St. Paul Highland Park cut into the lead once again.

The Bucs held the Scots at bay until fourth down when Mitchell hit Tycell Page on a 22-yard passingplay closing out the second quarter.

Joey Silversmith followed the touchdown by kicking the ball through the uprights cutting the BEA lead to 27-22 at halftime.

Adjustments were made to open up the second half with BEA quickly bouncing back after the sluggish end to the second quarter.

In BEA’s first possession, Brady Anderson capped a 62-yard drive with a 21 yard run into the end zone. The second touchdown run for Anderson highlighted a stellar night on the ground. The senior quarterback ran for 194 yards averaging 14.9 yards per carry.

After the Anderson touchdown, Olson ran in for the two point conversion extending the BEA lead to 35-22.

Anderson set up the Bucs’ sixth score of the night. The quarterback was sprung by a bone-crunching-block from Olson for a 41-yard run to bring the Bucs to the Scots 10 yard line. Olson was rewarded for his hustle earlier in the drive when BEA handed the ball off to him for a four yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion was good when Bradyn Olsen corralled an Anderson pass to make the score 43-22.

The Bucs cracked the 50 point barrier on their next possession when David Franta cruised in for a five-yard touchdown run.

The score was made possible by a Carter Hanson interception. Hanson returned the pick for 30 yards all the way back to the Scots 11 yard line. The point after attempt was good by Rintelen.

With 50 points already on the board, the Bucs punted the ball for the first time during the last minute of the third quarter.

After BEA’s first punt, the Scots rallied to score three unanswered touchdowns.

St. Paul Highland Park closed the gap to within 10 points after two touchdowns from Page and one from Fears.

A crucial two-point conversion was stopped by the Bucs that would have drawn the Scots within one score of the lead.

With the 28-point lead whittled down to 10, Olson extinguished all doubt of a Scots comeback late in the fourth quarter.

The senior raced 60 yards for a BEA touchdown down the middle of the field. Rintelen tacked on the extra point giving the Bucs a 57-40 lead, which ended up being the game’s final score.

The statistics both teams put up on offense more closely resembled a video game than a high school football game.

BEA finished with 435 yards rushing on 48 attempts. Anderson was also efficient through the air completing four of eight passes, for 59 yards and a touchdown.

Possibly the most telling statistic of the game was time of possession. Blue Earth controlled the ball for 36 minutes while St. Paul Highland Park only handled the ball for 12.

Surprisingly, St. Paul Highland Park out gained BEA in yardage during the game. The Scots racked up 500 yards of total offense while Blue Earth netted 494.

On defense, Kysten Zierke led the Bucs with 15 tackles from his linebacker position. Teammate Carter Hanson followed close behind with 11 total tackles.

The Bucs traveled to Windom for their third game of the year Sept. 16 after the Register’s deadline. Game time was at 7 p.m.