homepage logo


Bucs rush to 6-0 with win over Saints

By Staff | Oct 16, 2011

Kysten Zierke

On a wind swept Wilson Field last Friday night, the Blue Earth Area football team stopped St. Peter three times inside their red zone to earn a 21-0 South Central Conference victory.

The win improves the Buccaneers record to 6-0 overall for the season and 3-0 in the SCC.

BEA wasted little time in taking control of the game. David Franta received the opening kick off, made a sharp cut and glided to the Buccaneer 40-yard line establishing excellent field position for the Bucs.

The Buccaneer offensive line immediately set the tone with physical play during the team’s first possession. BEA ran the ball every play, marching their way down the field until they reached the St. Peter 21-yard line.

The Bucs then opened up the playbook­­ when Brady Anderson found Steven Plocker streaking into the end zone for an easy pitch and catch.

Jakob Rintelen added the extra point, giving BEA a 7-0 lead with 7:02 remaining in the first quarter.

After a BEA fumble, the Bucs dodged a bullet stopping St. Peter on the 11-yard line midway through the first quarter. The Saints’ Joey Bartlett caught a pass near the BEA end zone from Austin Braun, but was ruled out of bounds, eliminating a possible Saint scoring opportunity.

Both teams traded punts until midway through the second quarter when BEA took over on their own 25-yard line after a St. Peter punt.

The Bucs embarked on a 75-yard drive capped by an Anderson pass to Isaac Darrington. Anderson threw a tight spiral lofted over the St. Peter coverage to Darrington for a 29-yard scoring play.

Rintelen tacked on the extra point giving BEA a 14-0 lead with 2:04 remaining in the half.

Darrington made another play shortly following, intercepting a St. Peter pass on the next possession.

The pick allowed BEA to take over on the 49-yard line with 1:16 left in the half. The Bucs quickly gathered steam after a 17-yard pass to Darrington and a 9-yard screen pass to Plocker.

BEA had opportunities in the end zone for another score, but couldn’t come down with their third touchdown of the game. An interception ended the threat and BEA went into halftime with a 14-0 lead.

To open the second half, St. Peter put together their most consistent drive of the game. They gained 74 yards, but couldn’t get the final yard for six points. Brad More recovered a Saints fumble on the 1-yard line to end the drive.

Deep in their own territory, BEA worked their way out with run after run from work horse Jacob Olson.

Safely out of the end zone, BEA appeared to be setting themselves up for a 99-yard time-consuming drive. A fumble eliminated that possibility and the two teams remained scoreless for the remainder of the third quarter.

St. Peter put together a string of successful plays to begin the fourth, allowing them to move into scoring position. The drive stalled on BEA’s 7-yard line when Josh Johnson and Plocker stopped Braun on a quarterback keeper.

Shortly after, BEA put the final nail in the coffin with a 93-yard drive reaching pay dirt.

Kysten Zierke doused the Saints hopes with a 39-yard touchdown with 2:34 remaining in the game.

Rintelen sailed his third extra point in a row through the uprights to reach the final score of 21-0.

The win set up a show down with co-conference leader Fairmont in the battle for the Little Brown Jug. The game took place after the Register’s deadline Friday, Oct. 14.

Both team’s entered the conference with unblemished SCC?conference records.