homepage logo

Buccaneers top Eagles, 70-67

By Staff | Dec 15, 2013

The Blue Earth Area boys basketball team ended the game on an 11-3 run to pull off a 70-67 come-from-behind victory over the New Ulm Eagles on Dec. 6.

The road win was the first victory on the season for BEA (1-2, 1-1).

Luke Monson scored 19 of his game high 28 points in the second half. He also had 10 rebounds, which gave him his second double-double in as many games.

The Buccaneers handled pressure and didn’t turn the ball over when it counted.

In the last two games, BEA turned the ball over a combined 48 times. In their victory versus the Eagles, the Buc’s only committed five turnovers.

“They did full court press us man-to-man all game long. I think we did a nice job of bringing the ball up at a pace that we can play at,” coach Seth Anderson says. “I liked the way we made passes ahead to break the press before any double teams came. It allowed us to get into our offense early.”

The maroon and gold took an early six-point lead right out of the gates. The Buc’s went on an 8-1 run to force the Eagles to call their first timeout.

Monson led the Buc’s with nine first half points. Junior guard Derek Johnson also contributed seven of his 15 points in the first half.

The Eagles ended the half on a 30-15 run, which gave the home team a nine-point advantage going into halftime.

Grant Kannegiesser scored 15 first half points for New Ulm.

He finished the game with 26 points and 10 rebounds.

BEA started the second half strong. An 8-0 Buccaneer run, sparked by back-to-back three-pointers from Johnson, tied the score at 43.

But the Eagles answered right back with a 10-2 run of their own, taking an eight point lead, 53-45.

Monson stopped the bleeding by hitting a contested three-pointer.

Monson then grabbed two offensive rebounds and scored for the Buc’s, narrowing the Eagles lead to one, 63-64. He was fouled on the play and converted a free throw to tie the game at 64.

In the last couple minutes, New Ulm went into a stalling offense. But, BEA was getting in the passing lanes and forced some costly turnovers.

“Those were big stops for us. We played with great poise and energy down the final stretch,” Anderson explains. “You could see the kids really believed in what we were doing and knew we could win it. Our guards did a nice job preventing the pass to the high post in our 2-3 zone.”

Johnson sealed the victory with a score, putting the Buc’s up three, which would end up being the last points scored of the game.

The Buccaneers played host to the Fairmont Cardinals Friday, Dec. 13. On Dec. 19, the maroon and gold will travel to Waseca at 7:30 p.m. Those games were played after the Faribault County Register deadline. Game results will be included in the next Register.