homepage logo

Buccaneers down Saints 35-0

By Staff | Oct 21, 2018

Buccaneers Adam Griffin (60), Parker Kienitz (8) and CJ Germann (5) gang up to tackle a St. James ball carrier,

The Blue Earth Area Buccaneers wrapped up their regular season on a good note, defeating the St. James Area Saints 35-0 in St. James Wednesday night.

The Buccaneer offense struck quickly. Caelan Sanders fielded the opening kick at the 14-yard line and returned it 18 yards to the Buccaneers 32-yard line.

A run of 64 yards by Hunter Bleess advanced the ball to the Saints’ four-yard line. Koby Nagel covered the final four yards with a burst up the middle for the touchdown. Brayden Barnett’s extra point kick was good and 32 seconds into the game the Bucs led 7-0.

The Bucs defense forced a three and out forcing a fourth down punt. Sanders caught the ball on his 39-yard line and returned the ball 26 yards to the St. James Area 35-yard line. Two plays later the Bucs were in the Red Zone at the 13-yard line.

BEA could not overcome penalties on two consecutive plays that moved the ball back to the 26-yard line. The Saints took over on downs at their own 21-yard line.

Koby Nagel gets loose and escapes an attempted diving tackle by a Saints defender.

The Saints drove the ball into Buccaneer territory to the 46-yard line. CJ Germann’s sack for a seven-yard loss forced a St. James Area punt. The Bucs thwarted the Saints’ fake punt attempt, tackling the punter for a four-yard loss.

The Bucs were once again on the move after taking over on the Saints’ 43-yard line.

They had advanced the ball to the 15-yard line before another penalty set them back to the Saints’ 30-yard line. An interception ended the drive with the Saints taking over on their own 31-yard line.

Three plays later, the Bucs’ Cameron Anderson stepped in front of a St. James Area receiver to intercept the ball at the Buccaneer 45-yard line near the St. James sideline.

Anderson picked up some blockers as he cut across the field heading toward the BEA sideline but then cut across the field again as he crossed the goal line on the St. James Area sideline for a 55 yard touchdown.

Barnett’s kick was good and the Bucs led 14-0 with 1:39 left in the first quarter.

The second quarter started with the Bucs taking possession of the ball on