homepage logo

BEA suffers two conference losses

By Staff | Feb 2, 2020

Sam Keister goes up against Fairmont’s Wyatt Frank in the Jan. 28 game between the Bucs and the Cardinals. Keister finished with 12 points but Fairmont won the contest 54-43 after pulling away from BEA in the second half.

The Fairmont Cardinals went on a 12-0 run midway through the second half and went on to defeat the Blue Earth Area Buccaneers 54-43 in boys basketball action in Blue Earth on Tuesday, Jan. 28.

The Bucs’ Braden Gudahl had been instrumental in igniting a 6-0 run to pull BEA within one point of Fairmont at 37-36.

The junior guard made a free throw, drained a 3-pointer and then stole the ball and hit a streaking Austin Thielfoldt in stride for a break-away layup.

But the Cardinals, behind six-foot-seven center Wyatt Frank, scored 12 straight and the Bucs could not recover.

Frank grabbed an offensive rebound and put it in for two points. Next, he got the ball down low and powered it into the basket. Zach Jorgenson added two more off a rebound and then Frank drilled a 3-pointer to make it 46-36 in favor of the Cards.

Braden Gudahl goes up for a shot against the outstretched arms of the Fairmont defender, Joey Flohrs in a game played in Blue Earth on Jan. 28.

Jack Hested’s shot from behind the arc completed the run and gave Fairmont a 49-36 lead.

The Bucs got within eight points at 51-43 with 1:25 left, but the Cardinals closed out the scoring with three free throws to go home with the win.

The first half saw Fairmont jump out to a 5-0 lead before junior center Sam Keister accounted for six of BEA’s first eight points to put the Bucs on top 8-7.

Late in the opening half the Cardinals had taken a 20-18 lead when Keister hit a turnaround jumper to knot the score at 20.

Keister scored the next four points to finish the first half with 12 points. It looked like the teams would head into halftime tied at 24-24. However, the Bucs were called for a foul on a last-second shot from beyond half-court.

Fairmont’s Carter Bell sank two of the three free throws to make it a 26-24 ballgame in favor of the Cards at the half.

The Bucs, who were without leading scorer and rebounder Cameron Anderson due to an injury, made only two of their 17 attempted 3-pointers for the night. The Cards were successful on seven of their 19 shots from beyond the arc.

BEA was outrebounded by Fairmont 38-28 but led the visitors in points inside the paint by a 30-24 margin.

The Bucs committed 11 turnovers to 17 for the Cards.

Leading scorers for BEA were Keister with 14 points and Zach?Herrmann with 12. Herrmann finished with eight rebounds and Keister had seven.

Fairmont improved their record to 8-6 while BEA has a 6-7 record.

The Cards and the Bucs meet again on Friday, Feb. 7, in Fairmont.

St. Peter 56, BEA 55

The game came down to the final 2.7 seconds when Blue Earth Area traveled to St. Peter on Friday, Jan. 24, for a Big South Conference boys basketball game.

St. Peter’s Ethan Volk went to the foul line and made the front end of a one-and-one free throw to tie the game at 55-55. He then sank his next free throw to give the Saints the 56-55 win.

St. Peter led most of the first half but BEA kept it close and finally took a 24-22 lead. The Bucs’ advantage was shortlived however because the Saints came down the floor and sank a 3-pointer to go up 25-24.

The home team added two more points before the half to take a 27-24 lead heading into the second stanza.

BEA scored the first four points of the second half to take a 28-27 lead. The Saints responded with an 8-0 run to go back on top 35-28.

Sam Keister’s short jumper put a halt to the Saints’s run and made the score 35-30.

St. Peter increased their advantage to 48-39 but the Bucs outscored the Saints over the next few minutes to take a 51-50 lead Gavin Storbeck’s basket got BEA going and Austin Thielfoldt drained a shot from outside the arc to cut St. Peter’s lead to 48-44. The Saints scored a bucket but then a 3-pointer by Storbeck, a runner by Will Howard and a Zach Herrmann basket off an offensive rebound put the Bucs in front 51-50.

A short jumper by Grant Strukel increased the Bucs’ lead to 53-50 before the Saints converted one of two foul shots to make it a two-point game.

Another basket by Strukel gave BEA a four-point lead at 55-51.

St. Peter made a free throw to narrow the gap to 55-52.

The Saints scored again off of a back-door cut to make it 55-54 in favor of the Bucs.

BEA had chances to extend their lead at the free- throw line in the closing minutes, but three different players were unable to put the ball through the hoop from the charity stripe.

So the situation was set for Volk’s game-winning free throws. It appeared Volk went to the floor on his own without any body contact but the officials called a foul, Volk made the shots, and the Saints escaped with a one-point victory.

Both teams shot the ball well from the field. St. Peter made 50 percent of their 2-point attempts compared to 47.5 for BEA. The Saints made six of their 17 3-point attempts while the Bucs were five of 12 from beyond the arc.

There was quite a disparity when it came to chances at the charity stripe. St. Peter had 22 free throw attempts and made 12. Meanwhile, BEA shot a total of six free throws and made two.

Thielfoldt led the Bucs with 15 points while Strukel and Cameron Anderson had nine each.

Anderson pulled down nine rebounds and Keister had six.