homepage logo

Bucs dominate in win over Arrows

Big second quarter helps BEA remain undefeated with 4-0 record

By Kevin Mertens - Staff Writer | Nov 8, 2020

Max Ehrich (2), above, uses the blocks of Austin Thielfoldt (5) and Nick Frank (55) to run for a gain in BEA’s game against Pipestone.

A scoring flurry at the end of the first half gave the Class AA No. 3-ranked Blue Earth Area Buccaneers a 35-0 half time lead over the visiting Pipestone Arrows in their Big South Conference game played at Wilson Field on Friday, Oct. 30. The final tally had BEA winning by the score of 42-13.

Following the first half, the Bucs played their starters for one offensive and one defensive series in the second half before turning it over to the reserves.

“I think we definitely set the tone early in the game,” BEA head coach Randy Kuechenmeister said. “Our defense played well holding them to 113 yards of total offense for the game.”

The Buc’s had 174 rushing yards and 184 passing yards for 358 yards of total offense. Pipestone gained 64 yards on the ground and 49 in the air.

“Their defense put eight men in the box trying to stop our running game,” Kuechenmeister commented. “That leaves only one defender covering Cam Anderson and I feel pretty good about our chances in that situation.”

BEA received the opening kickoff and Max Ehrich returned the ball 26 yards to put the ball at midfield. The Maroon and Gold put together an 11-play drive with Ehrich gaining the final yard on a fourth down play. Kean Hicks kicked the extra point and the Bucs led 7-0 with 6:41 left in the first quarter.

Ehrich left the game after scoring and did not return for the remainder of the contest.

The Arrows were unable to move the ball on their first drive and were forced to punt. The punt sailed out of bounds and BEA took over on their own 45-yard line.

A 35-yard pass completion to Anderson moved the ball to the Pipestone 20-yard line but the drive stalled and the Arrows took over on their own 20.

Pipestone got one first down and advanced the ball out to the 40-yard line before being forced to punt again. Following the kick, the Bucs took over on their own 22-yard line.

Quarterback Gavin Storbeck began the ensuing drive with an eight-yard run to the 30-yard line. Storbeck then hit Austin Thielfoldt for a 10-yard pass play. Cole Warmka followed with a nine-yard run over left tackle to move the ball to the BEA 49-yard line.

Ashton Lloyd made an over-the-shoulder catch of a Storbeck pass for a 34-yard gain to the Pipestone 17-yard line.

An offsides penalty moved the ball back five yards but a jet-sweep by Anderson resulted in a 22-yard gain and touchdown for the Bucs with 8:44 left in the second quarter. Hicks put the ball through the uprights to give BEA a 14-0 lead.

The Arrows failed to move the ball again and punted the ball away and the Bucs took over on the 50-yard line with 5:55 left in the first half.

Three plays later BEA scored again. Storbeck ran the ball the first two times to pick up a total of 24 yards. Storbeck then found Anderson wide open on a post pattern for a 26-yard touchdown pass with 4:24 to go in the opening half. Hicks kicked the extra point and the score was 21-0 in favor of the Bucs.

Pipestone fumbled the ball on their next drive and BEA took over on the Pipestone 35-yard line with 3:27 remaining in the half.

A 15-yard run by Warmka and 11-yard gain by Storbeck put the ball on the nine-yard line. Warmka’s run over the right side resulted in another touchdown. The extra point kick by Hicks went through the uprights to increase BEA’s lead to 28-0 with 2:17 left to go in the first half.

The Bucs stopped the Arrows again and Pipestone was forced to punt. Anderson fielded the punt at his own 30-yard line and returned the ball 35 yards to Pipestone’s 35-yard line and BEA took over with one minute left in the half.

A quick out to Anderson resulted in a nine-yard gain and stopped the clock. An 11-yard run by Warmka and two runs by Storbeck had the Bucs knocking on the

door at the five-yard line. Anderson ran the ball around the right end, eluded two tackles and crossed the goal line to score with 14.6 seconds left in the second quarter. Another successful kick by Hicks put BEA in front 35-0.

The Bucs would add one more touchdown on their first drive of the second half before pulling the starters for the evening.

BEA had 20 first downs during the game while Pipestone only had eight.

Storbeck completed 10 of 14 passes for 184 yards and two touchdowns. Storbeck also led the team in rushing with 53 yards on six attempts. Warmka finished with 51 yards on eight attempts and scored one touchdown. Anderson ran the ball three times for 37 yards and two touchdowns.

Anderson also had a receiving touchdown while catching six passes for 116 yards. Lloyd finished with one touchdown on two receptions for 49 yards. Thielfoldt gained 19 yards on two receptions.

Hicks led the team with eight tackles from his linebacker position. Luke Schonborn had six tackles. Riley Anderson stepped in for Ehrich and was credited with five tackles. Anders Fering and Ian Cornelio were each credited with half a sack.

BEA was scheduled to travel to Windom on Nov. 6, to take on the Eagles. The results of that contest will be in next week’s edition of the Faribault County Register.